In addition to our annual short course, we will also offer new beekeeper classes on Saturday, Feb. 21, Feb. 28 and March 28.
The first two classes will be at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church. The third, a woodenware workshop, will be at the Masonic Hall in Alcoa.
The classes will begin at 9 a.m., and they end around 11:30 or 12.
These classes, conducted by veteran beekeepers Stacey Adair and José Ashbrook, are as hands-on as possible and will tell you a lot about what goes on inside the hive and about what you should be doing as a beekeeper.
Here’s the schedule:
Class 1 February 21
- Identification of Queen, Workers and Drones ( Adults and Brood)
- Breakdown of Hive Components ( The brood chamber and honey supers)
- Picking up Packages and Nucs and Installation ( Moving bees, Package installation demonstration)
- Feeding Packages and Nucs (Types of feed and types of feeders)
Class 2 February 28
- Smokers, smoker fuel and how to light them ( Demonstration)
- Personal protective equipment ( Review of protective clothing)
- Getting into the Hive- How to inspect and how frequently (Proper way to enter a hive, manipulate frames, look for brood, food stores, tools useful for the inspection)
- Keeping bees in Urban areas (tips for successful beekeeping in urban areas)
Class 3 March 28 – Masonic Hall, 797 Vose Street Alcoa
Wooden Ware Workshop– how to assemble your hives and frames, put in foundation, types of paints to use, etc.
Directions to Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church
503 Pleasant Hill Road: From Lamar Alexander Parkway, turn south on to Court Street toward Maryville College. Continue on Court past Maryville College (on left) and at fork, bear left on to Wilkinson Pike. Continue 2 miles, and then turn left on to Pleasant Hill Road. Go 2/10 of a mile to church on left. Parking located across the street from church. Enter the church on left/south side of building.
Directions to the Masonic Hall Alcoa: The location is the Masonic Hall in Alcoa. Directions to the Masonic hall– Take Hall Road to Bessemer street and turn East. Follow Bessemer through Alcoa, under the tunnel, and to Springbrook Road, about 1.25 miles. Go straight at the stop sign, and go 0.25 miles and turn left on N. Wright street. Go 0.3 miles to Vose Street. The Masonic Hall is at the intersection of Vose and Wright, on the left
For more information and to register for class (no cost):
Jose` Ashbrook 379-6434, 724-8826 firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacey Adair 983-6223, 254-2500 email@example.com