The BCBA will be offering two hands-on classes for new beekeepers as a follow-up for our annual short course.
The classes will be on Saturdays, Feb. 23 and March 2, at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church at 503 Pleasant Hill Road. The classes will be conducted by Stacey Adair and Jose Ashbrook.
The classes will offer participants an up-close at how to manage a hive, including recognizing a queen, installing a package of bees, personal protective equipment, and tips for keeping bees in urban areas. Below is complete information.
New Beekeepers Classes
Class times: 9 a.m. to noon
Class 1 February 23rd
- Identification of Queen, Workers and Drones ( Adults and Brood)
- Breakdown of Hive Components ( The brood chamber and honey supers)
- Picking up Packages and Nucs and Installation ( Moving bees, Package installation demonstration)
- Feeding Packages and Nucs (Types of feed and types of feeders)
Class 2 March 2nd
- Smokers, smoker fuel and how to light them ( Demonstration)
- Personal protective equipment ( Review of protective clothing)
- Getting into the Hive- How to inspect and how frequently (Proper way to enter a hive, manipulate frames, look for brood, food stores, tools useful for the inspection)
- Keeping bees in Urban areas (tips for successful beekeeping in urban areas)
Class 3 March 9th – Masonic Hall, 797 Vose Street Alcoa
Wooden Ware Workshop- how to assemble your hives and frames, put in foundation, types of paints to use, etc.
Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church
503 Pleasant Hill Road
Directions: From Lamar Alexander Parkway, turn south on to Court Street toward Maryville College. Continue on Court past Maryville College (on left) and at fork, bear left on to Wilkinson Pike. Continue 2 miles, and then turn left on to Pleasant Hill Road. Go 2/10 of a mile to church on left. Parking located across the street from church. Enter the church on left/south side of building.
Masonic Hall Alcoa
The location is the Masonic Hall in Alcoa. Directions to the Masonic hall– Take Hall Road to Bessemer street and turn East. Follow Bessemer through Alcoa, under the tunnel, and to Springbrook Road, about 1.25 miles. Go straight at the stop sign, and go 0.25 miles and turn left on N. Wright street. Go 0.3 miles to Vose Street. The Masonic Hall is at the intersection of Vose and Wright, on the left
For more information:
Jose` Ashbrook 379-6434, 724-8826 firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacey Adair 983-6223, 254-2500 email@example.com