Dennis Barry presented the seasonal portion of the June meeting of the Blount County Beekeepers Association on June 8 and told those attending that they should keep in mind the following during this busy month for beekeepers:
- The honey flow is nearly finished, and the honey supers should be coming off the hives fairly soon.
- Think about when you will start feeding your hives. With the flowering season over, the feeds are likely to run out of stores by August.
- Get ready to medicate, if you choose to do so. Some medications are temperature sensitive, so make sure you are away of how to put them on.
- Prepare to enter your honey in a local fair or contest. For local beekeepers, there is the Tennessee Valley Fair, the Blue Ribbon Fair and the Tennessee Beekeepers Association annual meeting, just to name three venues coming up in early fall.
- Order your queens now if you are going to re-queen in the fall.